/

Monday, July 24, 2006

Ghost Toasties

Some people's ghosts leave pennies everywhere for them to find. My ghosts are less practical and more pyromaniacal... they leave lighters... all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Yesterday I was finding them everywhere... floor of my vehicle, floor of my office, on my nightstand, under my couch, around my kitchen, in the garage, in my purse, in every drawer I looked, and even in my bed.

I decided to fuse those finds with my recent peculiar nocturnal eating habits, which are partly fueled by insomnia and partly by my now annual summer ritual of eating everything in the house until it's gone in an effort to go without buying anything at the store until the kids return... this is year 2 of this particular brand of madness. I'll blog about that later, most likely with pictures.
So in the wee hours of the morning, when the rest of you less derranged types were probably sleeping, I went all MacGuyver on my mid-night munchies and found a container of kabob skewers, a really fat candle, and a bag of mini-marshmallows pushed to the back of the pantry... probably there since the 90s.

I then snapped the skewer ends off and stuck them all over the sides of the candle... pointy side out... followed by pushing a mini-marshmallow onto the end of each skewer point.

Spending the better part of an hour around 3am, I watched Swingers on TBS while roasting mini-marshmallows on my skewer-candle creation by utilizing several of the lighters that I'd found laying about earlier in the day. The most challenging and time-consuming part proved to be unsticking the two fistfuls of ancient mini-marshmallows from each other inside the bag... they'd congealed over time and then petrified to form one jumbo not-so-marshy-mallow abstract sculpture. Luckily as I suspected, the flames managed to soften the insides into the usual gooey goodness you'd expect.

If I ever harness my middle of the night ingenuity one day, I might possibly be a force to be reckoned with... maybe.

Next snack adventure: peanut butter and jelly (thanks for the idea, s.a.) on 5-month-old bread... or 3-month-old bagels. That's not so old though... the peanut butter is at least 3 years old and the jelly is probably a year past its prime. That may sound unappealing to you... but if you only knew what I do... that it's got to be better than the "un" hummus I made the other night, when I substituted a shortage of garbanzos and a lack of sesame butter for a can of butter beans in their stead. Hey, I thought I was killing two birds with one stone.

It was ...... ummm ...... interesting?

No comments:

Web Statistics