/

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Theocracy at Its Finest

Today I got a letter from a distant friend in Maine (one of only 2 states that smartly dole out electoral votes based on a real representative sample, rather than the all-or-nothing version the rest of us get) who summed up my sentiments exactly. I'd like to share his thoughts with you here:

"I'm sure you had a good time last night, envisioning the practical reality of Theocracy. With that in mind, here is a short list of other folks who were elected:

Senator-elect Jim DeMint: Thinks that unwed pregnant women and gays are unfit to be schoolteachers.

Senator-elect Tom Coburn: Wants the death penalty for abortion doctors.

Senator-elect John Thune: Mr. School Prayer Amendment.

Voters in 11 states voted to ban same-sex marriage. The lowest margin was 57%-43%. The highest (Mississippi) was 86%-14%. Kentucky also bans civil unions. That one was 75%-25%.

The Senate will likely be split 55-45 in favor of Republicans, creeping closer to a filibuster-proof supermajority. Meanwhile, 89% of these guys are older than 65.

But you'll also get a tax cut, if you accept Christ as your personal savior and accountant.

Without hesitation, I sincerely urge everyone to READ and PAY ATTENTION, always. And read lots of books about the Roman Empire. --Mr. Gage"

------

Last night while watching the returns, I managed to eat all of my children's chocolate Halloween candy, probably in an effort to elevate myself to a chocolate high, and succeeding only in a massive chocolate hangover today.

I went to the gym for a healthier high and was on the treadmill no more than 5 minutes when W came across all the monitors with his acceptance speech. I ran hard for 30 minutes and attempted to stare through the digital display feeling a little like Superman trying to spin the world backwards in time just a few minutes to buy more time to save Lois's life. It didn't work for me, of course.

Now I'm seeking comfort from music with darkly poignant lyrics. This one's on repeat as I type:

"Well we stick our fingers in
The ground, heave and
Turn the world around
Smoke is blacking out the sun
At night I pray and clean my gun
The cracked bell rings as
The ghost bird sings and the gods
Go beggin here
So just open fire
As you hit the shore
All is fair in love
And war" --Tom Waits, "Hoist That Rag"

I'm disappointed people. Disappointed, scared, angry, and down. I'm also considering moving to New England or the West Coast (if not out of the country entirely)... anyone want a gloomy roomie?

--She

No comments:

Web Statistics